Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Maucha Adnet & Helio Alves, Milagre

Brazilian song, whether firmly jazz-entrenched or not, is something I respond to. And that's what I am doing with vocalist Maucha Adnet's album in tandem with sensitive and ravishing pianist Helio Alves, Milagre (Zoho 201302).

Maucha is an excellent singer, filled with soul and musical feeling. Alves has samba jazz subtlety and style in his pianism, an excellent player. The two tackle a set of great songs, some familiar to me, others not but all worth experiencing. There are songs by Gil, Jobim, Buarque, Veloso, Pascoal, de Moraese, and others unfamiliar to me. All have that subtle rhythmic lilt that a great vocalist puts forward with this music. It's all there.

Magic is in the air on this disk. I revel in it. If you like classic samba-bossa song, this duet will send you!

No comments:

Post a Comment